What to buy and where to buy it during a pandemic shopping spree!
Sometimes you just get to the store to late! The staple food is all gone and you have nothing left to purchase. What do you do?
Well, if you follow the course of prepping you really won't need to do anything because all you were doing was replenishing some foods you were a little low on. If you are not a prepper, you might be in trouble because chances are, you only have enough food in your panty to carry you and your family over a few days at most.
This could be a worrisome situation to be in! What do you do if this happens to you?
Below is a list of places and things to purchase when you run into situations like this!
BONUS AT END
First you need to know where to buy it! The big box stores will be overrun first, WalMart, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. All these will be gutted first!
Go to the lesser shopped stores:
- Office supply stores
- Dollar stores
- Discount stores (Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, etc.)
- Large pharmacies (WalGreens)
- Grocery stores (for things other than groceries) Toiletries, tools, cooking utensils, Paper Goods, Pet Food, etc.
- Big Lots
- Hardware stores
When the water runs out, what do you buy?
- Sports drinks (like Gatorade)
- Flavored or sparkling water
- Juice boxes or individual bottles
- Vegetable juice
- Premade iced tea
Check out the pre boxed lunch section of the grocery for boxed drinks like kids take to school.
If you still have running water look for containers that can double for water storage. Jars, and jugs, Canisters, etc. Save your 2 Litre Pop bottles, juice bottles, etc. Fill them with water and keep them out of the sun
Boxed Meals are gone!
Buy plain pasta and cheese sauce!
If Ramen Noodle is gone buy Angel Hair Pasta and cook then add soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder. Would make a good meal!
Learn to cook with regular pasta or rice to replace the hamburger helper pre made meals. Add some marinara sauce with spices or even cream of mushroom soups!
It is hard to replace rice but you may still be able to find it on Amazon? https://amzn.to/2TUqghy
Canned Meats are gone!
Canned beans of any kind, refried, baked, etc.
V8 Juice. You can make soup with this in a bind.
Canned potatoes. Mash and fry for a different taste. (Potato cakes with spices)
If the normal canned goods are gone, Veggies, etc.
- Noodle bowls that just need boiling water
- Soups that may not be as familiar (Something beats nothing when you are hungry)
- Small cans of salsa or enchilada sauce for spicing up meals.
Check other areas in the stores for items such as these
- Pouches of precooked rice (some have beans and other vegetables mixed in)
- Peanut butter
- Breakfast cereal
- Granola bars
- Veggie chips
- Potato chips
- Pre-popped popcorn
- Fruit cups
- Vienna sausages
- Pre-cooked bacon
Look in all the isles for shelf stable foods.
No Toilet paper Now what?
Look at office Supply Stores.
Kleenex, do not get the ones that have lotion! I know, it is more expensive but if you have waited this long, that is the price you will have to pay if you have anything!
If nothing else, you will have to use rags. Keep a bucket of water handy beside the toilet. Treat it like a cloth diaper. Folks got along for decades without pampers!
What, no bleach!
Check the Hardware Stores
All kinds of office supply stores have cleaning supplies. They will no doubt be more expensive but,.. At least you will have what you need.
Check grocery stores
Purchase Bleach Tablets and make your own.
No Over The Counter Meds!
Folks who own goats, milk cows, etc. Animals that they get milk from know what a wonderful product this already is!
This is and can be used for much more than just making cheese.
Did you know it has many more uses a prepper can use it for?
- Head and face coverings in areas where bugs and mosquitoes are a nuisance. This can protect you from a lot of bites.
- Food covering. Outdoor protection for your food. Whether you are eating or smoking meats. It will cover plates or sun dried meats.
- Gause for bandages. Very flexible.
- Window screens or door screens. Keeps out flies, etc.
- Fishing nets. All you need is a handle and some twine or wire. You can even make a bag to carry the fish in.
- Tight weave cheesecloth, when folded several times can be used as a water filter.
- When filled with sand and small pebbles or gravel, you can use it like sandpaper or to scrub pots and pans that have burnt on stuff!
You can watch the YouTube Video below if you like. Thank you!