I know this Mississippi Mud Cake has been around for years but until just a few years ago I had never heard of it. After searching several sites and Goggling it I found there are several different recipes for this wonderful and delicious cake. Some incorporate Liquor, some Espresso, some strong coffee, etc! There really is no set way I don’t think. Just like every other recipe, they get altered to the liking if the eater! This cake is no different but it will literally melt in your mouth. Every recipe I have seen for this cake just made me want it more! Below is one version with coffee!
Ingredients for: Mississippi Mud Cake
- 1 – Cup butter
- 2 – Cups flour
- 2 – Cups sugar
- 1 – tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 Cup cocoa
- 1/2 Cup strong brewed coffee (Your brand is fine, just make it strong)
- 2 – large eggs (Fresh is always best but store bought will do)
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 2 – tsp. vanilla extract
Cake Glaze for: Mississippi Mud Cake
- 2 Cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup mixed nuts of your choice (Optional)
Directions for: Mississippi Mud Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Bundt Pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set this aside for now.
- In a medium Sause Pan, over medium heat melt the butter, cocoa, and coffee.
- Stir this just until the butter is melted
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Stir the flour mixture you set aside into the chocolate until smooth.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add this to the chocolate mixture, stirring until combined well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt Pan and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean.
- Mix the icing by adding milk and stirring until you reach the desires consistancy for pouriing, You do not want it too thin. Just thin enough to pour. Mix in nuts if you desire them now.
- Apply Icing while the cake is warm..
Check out some of our other chocolate recipes below.
Chocolate Eclair Cake
German Chocolate Creamcheese Cake
German Chocolate Brownie
Check out our Affiliate by clicking the links below!
Bundt Pan for Mississippi Mud Cake
Mixing Bowls by Paula Deen
KitchenAid Stand Mixers + Accessories
Paula Deen Signature Non-Stick Cookwares
If you have enjoyed this Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe leave us a comment below.