Strawberry basil lemonade is the perfect drink for those hot summer days. Not only is it suitable for summer, but you could drink this all year long. It is a great cocktail for your friends and family gatherings, parties or as meal compliments. Your kids get to enjoy this too. The best part about it is you don’t have to worry about waking up with a sore head in the morning. However, you can choose to add some alcohol, preferablly gin, rum or vodka, to make it into a cocktail.
We personally do not drink nor do we endorse drinking but we also know that many of our readers do enjoy mixed drinks. We would enjoy this in the natural mix without any alcohol added.
For 8 to 10 servings
• 2 cups of strawberries, diced. You may leave some extra strawberries for garnish
• 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice (about 6 lemons, preferably fresh)
• Rind of 1 lemon (without the white pith)
• 1/2 cup of basil leaves or Lemon Basil Syrup • 1 cup of sugar or you could choose to use 5 tbsp of honey/agave (to taste)
• 3 cups of cold water
• 2 cups of Ice
• 1 cup of Gin/vodka/rum (Optional)
• Sliced lemons (For garnish-Optional)
• Strawberry or basil leaf/blossom (For garnish-Optional)
• Mix the strawberries with 2 tbsps of sugar and set aside.
• In a pot, combine 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar, basil and lemon rind over medium heat. Stir for sometime until all the sugar dissolves completely. Remove from heat, cover and let it cool.
• Next, add the lemon-basil syrup in a pitcher along with the lemon juice, strawberries, 2 cups of ice and 2 cups of cold water. If you prefer to use vodka/rum/gin, replace one cup of water with one cup of your preferred drink (1 cup of cold water and 1 cup of your preferred alcoholic drink)
• Fill all the serving glasses with ice and add the strawberry basil lemonade.
• Garnish with sliced lemons, strawberries or tiny basil leaves/blossoms if you wish.
Some people prefer to strain the strawberry basil lemonade after blending for a smooth drink. It is an easy to make drink, which makes it very convenient, 15 minutes top and you will have your cocktail ready. You can get creative by also adding other types of berries like raspberries, use as a dessert by pouring into Popsicle molds, etc. If you prefer to garnish, you may need to have some leftover organic strawberries, basil leaves or sliced lemons. All these will be sure to enhance flavor, smell, and color of your lemonade.
An added benefit is that you get to make it from scratch using fresh ingredients. It is a delight to the eye and has a sweet and tangy taste that will keep you wanting more. Cocktails are fashionable drinks served in very attractively shaped glasses with beautiful decorations so you can choose to go all the way. Apart from the obvious great taste, you are guaranteed to enjoy numerous health benefits associated with the three main ingredients that make up these drink.
• Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, which is not produced naturally in human beings. This vitamin is a great immune booster.
• It plays an important role in promoting eye health because of its antioxidant properties.
• It promotes the production of collagen, which makes the skin appear healthier and younger.
• Ellagic acid, a substance found in strawberries has been shown to suppress the growth of cancer cells.
• It helps to fight bad cholesterol, which reduces the risks of diabetes and heart diseases.
• It reduces inflammation of joints and which keeps diseases such as arthritis at bay.
• Strawberries contain a decent amount of potassium, which is great for lowering blood pressure and inflammation.
• It aids in digestion since fiber makes up a part of the strawberries. Fiber also helps to slow down the absorption of sugars in the blood.
• These healthy fruits are naturally low calorie and therefore will aid you in your weight management goals.
• For pregnant women or those trying to conceive, strawberries are a great addition to your diet. They contain folate, a B-vitamin which is extremely important in the early development stages of the baby. It may help prevent certain birth defects.
• It significantly reduces inflammation in a short period of time.
• It contains essential oils with antibacterial properties that protect you from harmful microbes and bacteria.
• It is rich in antioxidants, which neutralize radicals in your body and protect your cells and organs from deterioration.
• It is beneficial for cancer patients as it protects the normal cells during chemotherapy and radiation. It is also prevents spread of malignant cells and kills harmful cells.
• It is safely used for prevention and treatment of diabetes.
• It protects the liver by increasing the production of detoxifying enzymes.
• It is a great stress reliever.
• Apart from being an aphrodisiac, it can also improve erectile dysfunction.
• It combats the aging process by reducing mental and physical oxidative stress.
• It strengthens your bones and improves density due to the presence of vitamin K. For calcium to be used in your body, vitamin K must be present.
• Vitamin K, present in basil, also improves blood clotting and keeps the brain healthy.
• It increases energy production in the body.
• Basil has manganese that promotes a healthy thyroid gland. Manganese also regulates metabolism.
• It aids in digestion therefore, prevents digestive problems such as indigestion and constipation.
• If you have a fever, this is your best bet to cure it by increasing perspiration.
• It aids in dental hygiene and care by eliminating tooth pain while preventing the various gum conditions that arise.
• Lemon is widely used in hair treatments because it does away with common hair problems such as dandruff, hair loss, etc.
• It acts as a blood purifier and therefore can be used to treat cholera, malaria and other diseases.
• It is also diuretic, flushing out toxins and bacteria from the body which can treat rheumatism and arthritis.
• Lemon works great when fighting infections because of its antibacterial properties.
• Due to its aromatic and antiseptic properties, it provides relief and muscle relaxation for your feet when mixed with water.
• If you are suffering from a heart problem, it is helpful because it contains potassium. This also controls high blood pressure because of its ability to provide a calming sensation to the body and mind.
Enjoy this delicious strawberry basil lemonade with family friends and colleagues under the hot sun while you reward your body with all these amazing benefits and more.
Banana Pudding Cheesecake Pie The Best!
Classic Lemon Cheesecake Woolworth Style No Bake
Chocolate Silk Cream Cheese Pie Delight Recipe
Boxed Devil Food Cake Hack Better Than Deli
Cookies and Cream Brownies Homemade
Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake With Pecans