Oh my, this Buttermilk Pie with Blueberry and Lemon is sure to be a dish that you will keep! I love everything but Buttermilk! When you make this you will like Buttermilk in the pie! I had never heard of pie with buttermilk in it but there is always a first for everything! So, here is a Buttermilk Pie and I hope you enjoy it!
Ingredients for: Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- 1 – Pre-baked 10-inch pie crust (If you want to make your own pie dough, click HERE for a recipe for Flaky Pie Dough instead)
- 1 1/2 – Cups sugar
- 1 – Tbsp plus 1 1/2 Tsps cornstarch. (sifted )
- 8 – Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted )
- 3 – Medium to large eggs
- 1 – Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 2 – Tsp lemon zest
- 2 – Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Ingredients for: Blueberries
- 1/4 – Cup apricot preserves
- 1 – Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 – Pints fresh dry blueberries
Directions for: Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, butter, eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, zest, and lemon juice until smooth.
- All the buttermilk mixture into the pre-baked pie shell.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and place the pie on this.
- Bake pie for 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the custard is set.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Top with the Blueberry topping when serving.
- Serve chilled or at room temp.
Directions for Blueberry Sauce / Topping for: Buttermilk Pie Recipe
- Whisk together Preserves and water in a small, heavy saucepan, and cook over medium heat until melted.
- Strain through a sieve, add the blueberries, and stir to coat.
- If you prefer cooked blueberries, you can use this recipe for blueberry topping instead.
Stop by and see some of our other pie recipes below.
Diabetic Banana Cream Pie
Creamcheese Pumpkin Pie
Stop by and visit our Affiliate for your baking and cooking needs. Check out their other items now!
The Buttermilk Pie photo above is provided by Fiona Henderson at Fliker Commons under the 2.0 License.
If you have enjoyed this Buttermilk Pie from Back Roads Living, leave us a comment below.