There aren’t many chocolate cakes I like better than Devils Food Cake! This Devils Food Cake with Butter Cream Frosting is a melt in your mouth item! Devils Food Cake has been a long time favorite of mine and adding the Butter Cream Frosting just makes it better!
This recipe makes 3 – 9″ round cakes!
Ingredients for: Devils Food Cake with Butter Cream Frosting
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Directions for: Devils Food Cake with Butter Cream Frosting
- Preheat Your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use 1 tablespoon of butter to grease 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with a parchment paper round.
- Combine cocoa and chocolate in medium bowl.
- Pour your boiling water over the chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth; set aside.
- Sift together the flours, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place the 3/4 pound butter in large bowl and beat with electric mixer at medium-high until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add dark brown and granulated sugars and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Stop mixer and scrape down bowl with rubber spatula.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating 30 seconds on medium-high after each addition.
- Reduce speed to medium and add sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Stop mixer and scrape down bowl again.
- With mixer on low add about 1/3 of flour mixture, followed by about 1/2 of chocolate mixture.
- Repeat ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined.
- Stop mixer and scrape down the sides of bowl to get it all.
- Stir gently to thoroughly combine the mix.
- Divide your batter batter evenly among cake pans and smooth with spatula.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry, about 25 minutes.
- Cool the cakes in their pans on wire racks for about 15 minutes.
- Invert cakes, 1 at a time, onto a large plate, peel off parchment, and invert onto rack.
- Cool completely before icing between layers, on sides, and on top with Vanilla Butter Cream Icing. Serve at room temperature. (Butter Cream will not fare to well in very warm conditions.)
Ingredients for: Devils Foor Cake Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet butter, soft
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- If you have a special occasion you can add the Food coloring of your choice! (optional)
Directions for: Devils Food Cake Butter Cream Frosting
- Place the soft butter in a bowl and beat it on a low speed while adding powdered sugar.
- When all the sugar is mixed in, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the vanilla and salt and beat for 5 to 7 minutes on medium speed.
- Fill and frost the cake and refrigerate it for 10 to 20 minutes to set up the frosting.
- (Add food coloring if desired)
Thank you for stopping by Back Roads Living again!