Stuffed Green Peppers has long been a staple from our garden and I love how easy stuffed green peppers are to make. I don’t know how you like yours but I like mine just about any way you can fix them. Raw or cooked is fine! I just like green peppers! 🙂
This recipe Makes 4 large stuffed green peppers. The great thing about Stuffed Peppers is that you can substitute just about any kind of meat! You can use chicken, beef, pork, etc. The ingredients are the same way. you can be creative and use red, yellow, purple, etc for your color of pepper and just use fillers that you like!
This recipe calls for Italian Sausage, Rice and Parmesan Cheese. Enjoy!
Ingredients for: Stuffed Green Peppers
- 1 C long-grain brown rice
- 4 large green bell peppers, bottom trimmed, cap end cut off and diced, and seeds removed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 links (about 8 ounces) turkey Sweet Italian Sausage (Remember, you can use the meat of your choice here)
- 1/2 tsp. ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp. dried Greek or Turkish oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Note: Cook rice according to package directions (Rice can be cooked ahead.)
Directions for: Stuffed Green Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Trim the bottom of your bell peppers so they have a flat surface to stand on. Cut off a fairly generous amount of the stem end of peppers, then remove the seeds from the bottom part. Spray a baking dish spray with non-stick spray or olive oil and place prepared peppers in the dish. Try to use a dish that will keep the peppers upright.
- Remove stem part from the pepper caps, then dice remaining pepper caps and the onion into fairly small dice. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet, then saute diced pepper and onion for 3-4 minutes, until they are starting to soften but aren’t browned. Remove pepper-onion mixture to a bowl, add 1 tsp. more olive oil, then squeeze sausage out of the casing and cook until it’s lightly browned, breaking apart with the back of the spatula.
- Add the onion & pepper mixture back into the pan with the sausage, add the dried spices, and saute 2-3 minutes to blend the flavors. Then add cooked rice and Parmesan cheese, season the mixture with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste, and cook just long enough to warm about 1-2 minutes.
- Stuff the filling mixture into the hollowed-out peppers, using a spoon to press the mixture down so it packs tightly into the pepper shell. Bake peppers for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and put a generous pinch of grated mozzarella on top of each pepper. Put peppers back into the oven and bake about 10-15 minutes more, until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve hot.
We do not bake our peppers ahead of time. We use raw peppers.
Stuffed Green Peppers Photo by: Collin Harvey
We hope you enjoy your Easy Stuffed Green Peppers as much as we do!