Cathead Biscuits or also known as drop biscuits have been around for a long time. I remember as a small child and all the way through my adult life as she was able, she made these biscuits and they were delicious! She used shortening instead of butter though.
My wife, I found out while dating, makes these biscuits the same way my mother did, from scratch. She never measures anything and they always turn out delicious!
So, needless to say, I have been eating homemade biscuits and gravy since I was born and still get them made now! Oh, yes, she makes gravy from scratch as well.... Yup, just like the gravy my mother made!
These biscuits are so easy made, you will make them over and over again! It only takes about 10 minutes of prep time so, in about 20 -25 minutes you will be eating hot cathead or drop biscuits.
We took these out of the oven a 18 minutes so you can see how they look. In the future, we will use the broiler to brown the tops a little more. at about 15 - 16 minutes.
Only 3 Ingredients for Homemade Cathead Biscuits
- 2 1/4 Cups Self Rising Flour. (You can use all purpose if you choose but we use self rising because the baking powder and salt is already incorporated into the flour)
- 4oz cold, cubed, salted butter. (8 Tbsp)
- 1 1/8 Cup Cold Milk or Buttermilk.
How To Prepare Cathead or Drop Biscuits
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, then the cold cubed butter.
- With a pasta cutter or fork cut the butter into the flour until it reaches the consistency of course meal.
- Add the cold milk and stir gently, only until milk is mixed in. This shouldn't take over 10 seconds or so. The more you mix the tougher the biscuits get. Over mixing will make hard or tough biscuits and they will not be flaky!
- Using a 2oz scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup drop mix into buttered cast iron skillet or baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Put into 450 degree pre-heated oven and bake for approx. 18 minutes or until biscuits turn golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Note: If desired, you can top with melted butter as soon as you remove them from the oven.
Kettle and Fire Bone Broths for Healthy Eating
Fire & Kettle is an affiliate of BRL and we receive a commission when a sale is made.
These are by far some of the easiest and tastiest biscuits you will make. Try not to over think or over stir these biscuits and you will enjoy a wonderful and tasty batch of homemade cathead biscuits like momma and grandma use to make. These biscuits are a little lighter and flakier than the ones made with shortening.
You can view the video below to see how we made them.
Have a great day!