This recipe called for a Cast Iron Skillet. but we made our Old Fashioned Meatloaf in a Cast Iron Bread Pan and it was just as good!
Ingredients for: Old Fashioned Meatloaf
- 2 lbs. hamburger ~ (Ours used 1lb for Bread Pan)
- 1 cup saltine cracker crumbs (oatmeal or bread crumbs) (3/4 cup for Bread Pan)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped (my addition)
- 2 eggs (1 egg for Bread Pan)
- 3/4-1 cup evaporated milk (whole milk or half and half) (1/2 cup for Bread Pan)
- 2 teaspoons salt (1 Tsp for Bread Pan)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (my addition)
- 2 cups of water (Leave out water if using Bread Pan)
- 1 cup ketchup (1/2 cup for Bread Pan)
Directions for: Old Fashioned Meatloaf ~ Make the same way for the Bread Pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with a non stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the above ingredients, except for the water and ketchup, and mix together until well blended. Note: Be careful not to handle the meat mixture to much.
- Shape into a round bun and place in the cast iron skillet. (shape into a loaf for bread pan)
- Pour water half way up in the skillet.(Leave out water if using Bread Pan)
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until meatloaf is done.
- Spoon ketchup over the meatloaf and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.