Coconut Cream Pie is another of the pies I remember from a child. I like coconut almost as much as I like chocolate. This is Homemade Coconut Cream Pie and I love them. This has a rich taste and is a delight.
Coconut Cream Pie
Crust for: Coconut Cream Pie
- 12 – 14 graham crackers (Approx 1 1/2 cups)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
Filling for:Coconut Cream Pie
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups shredded coconut, plus about ¼ cup more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping for: Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions for: Coconut Cream Pie
- For the crust: Crush or grind the graham crackers. Add the melted butter to the crackers. Once mixed, press the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan with back of a spoon. Make sure the crust is even throughout. Place the crust in the refrigerator.
- For the filling: Bring the milk, flour, sugar, salt and beaten eggs to a boil on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture starts boiling, remove from the heat; the consistency should be thick.
- Add the coconut and the vanilla and blend together. Then pour in the chilled pie crust. Place the pie in the refrigerator, 10 to 20 minutes.
- For the topping: Whip the cream until the consistency is thick. Add the coconut and sugar. Put the mixture over the chilled filling and then sprinkle extra coconut on top!
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
Coconut Cream Pie Photo by: Kimberly Vardeman
Check out another of our Diabetic Coconut Pie Recipes.
Thank you for stopping by Back Roads Living again!