A delicious Diabetes Friendly Diabetic Lemon Meringue Pie. If you like lemon pies, these pies are delicious!
This Diabetic Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe is a delicious dessert for the Diabetic!
Ingredients for: Diabetic Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 Basic 9” Pie Crust
- 5 tbsp sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon rind – grated
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg whites – divided
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 – 2 drops yellow food coloring – optional
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Directions for: Diabetic Lemon Meringue Pie
- Bake Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix water, lemon juice, lemon rind, 4 tbsp sweetener, and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Whisk over medium-high heat until boiling. Boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Whisk about 1 cup of the mixture into combined eggs and 2 egg whites. Whisk egg mixture into saucepan.
- Remove from heat. Add margarine, stirring until melted.
- Stir in (optional) food color and pour mixture into baked pie crust.
- Beat remaining 3 egg whites and cream of tartar in medium bowl to soft peaks.
- Beat to stiff peaks, gradually adding remaining 1 tbsp sweetener.
- Spread meringue over hot lemon filling, sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake at 425 degrees until meringue is browned, about 5 minutes.
Notes: Cool completely on wire rack.
Thanks for stopping by Back Roads Living again.
If you have enjoyed this recipe on Diabetic Lemon Meringue Pie leave us a comment below.