Boxed Devil Food Cake Hack
This has ended up being one of the best Devils food Cakes I have ever eaten! The texture and taste are as good as any deli cake you can buy. Save yourself some money and make this one yourself!
This is full of wonderful pudding mix, butter, milk and everything that makes a cake just fabulous! In this recipe we used boxed cake mix and tub icing right from the grocery! I never knew boxed and tubed products could taste so good!
After searching for how to make my cakes a little better than they already were, I came across two different recipes that I ended up combining the ingredients of one and the knowledge of the other and ended up making a hit!
This is why chocolate is my favorite food! You can make delicious cake like this right out of a box!
Ingredients for Boxed Devil Food Cake
- 1 Box Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 Stick Butter: Melted
- 4 Large Eggs (5 if they are small eggs)
- 1 Box Chocolate Pudding mix.
- 1 Cup Cold Milk (Replaces water in box mix)
- 2/3 Cup of Oil
As you can see, this is a very easy and simple list of ingredients.
Directions For Boxed Devil Food Cake Hack
- Blend or mix all the wet ingredients together first. This gives you a very good mix combination.
- Add dry ingredients and mix then add the wet ingredients and mix according to the box instructions.
- Prepare 2 9" cake pans with cooking spray, flour, etc. We used cooking spray. (Your preference.)
- Bake cake according to box directions. We always check our cake with a toothpick 5 minutes before it calls for. We let our bake for 28 minutes but should have removed it from the oven at 25 minutes (It was still delicious).
- Remove cake and allow to rest on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. 15 minutes is not too long. Remove cake from pans and allow to cool on wire rack another 10 minutes.
- Prepare icing and ice cake layers.
Tub Icing Preparation
We emptied the tub of icing into a bowl and added 1 tsp of Almond Extract then mixed on medium high for one minute. This created a very fluffy and icing that spread like silk on our cake. The taste was a little richer than regular Tub Icing and was simply delicious!
This was a very successful experiment and we will make this cake many times over.
Be sure to visit some of our other Desserts while you are here!