Coconut Cake has long been a favorite of many. Making this Delicious Coconut Layer Cake from scratch is going to be great! Toasted flakes all over the sweet icing and you have a keeper!
This Coconut Cake Recipe has been around for a long time so, just set back and enjoy!
Ingredients For: Coconut Layer Cake
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, omit salt)
- 3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (save what is left over for the frosting) See Note below!
- 1 teaspoon Coconut extract
Note: Coconut Milk is usually found canned in the imported food aisle of your grocery store, often with the Asian foods. Do not use Coconut water (which is a beverage) or Cream of Coconut (a sweetened coconut paste used to make tropical drinks).
Directions For: Coconut Layer Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease (or line with parchment paper) two 9″ or three 6″ round cake pans.
- If you use the 9″ pans you can cut your cake to make 4 stacks or just use three for the 6″ pans.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt In the large bowl with an electric mixer, Add in the butter and about 1/4 cup of the coconut milk. Mixer on low and beat just until moistened. Then on medium, beat for one minute to aerate the batter. Scrape down the sides of your bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, the rest of the coconut milk and the coconut extract. Mix with a fork until well-blended.
- Add the egg mixture into the batter in three batches, mixing for just 15-20 seconds each time until incorporated. Give your bowl a final scrape down by hand, to make sure any clumps of flour get mixed in.
- Pour batter in pans, shake pans to smooth out cake or smooth with a spatula to level the batter.
- Bake about 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
Frosting For: Coconut Layer Cake
- 3 Cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1/2 Cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons Coconut Milk (you should have some left over in the can)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
Directions for Frosting: Coconut Layer Cake
- Place all ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat all of the ingredients together on low until everything is moistened. Then turn the mixer up to med-high and beat for about 5 minutes until nice and fluffy. The amount of coconut milk you use depends on how soft or stiff you like your frosting.
- Place three cups of flaked coconut on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 350 for about 6 minutes, stirring it halfway through. Watch very carefully the last two minutes so it doesn’t get overly browned – coconut will burn very quickly. Let this cool.
- Frost the cake, then sprinkle the toasted coconut on top and pressing onto the sides.
Not only is this Coconut Layer Cake a pretty item for display but an even more delicious item to eat! Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by Back Roads Living again!