Make some homemade gravy and biscuits for breakfast or for that matter, dinner! We like em for any meal!
Everybody I know likes Gravy and biscuits. We were raised on them and felt like we hadn’t had breakfast without them! Home made gravy and biscuits with honey, jam, butter, etc! What a way to start the weekend! Enjoy!
Ingredients for: Buttermilk Biscuits for Homemade Gravy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Directions for: Buttermilk Biscuits for Homemade Gravy
- Cut the shortening into the flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and enough buttermilk until flour sticks together in bowl. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface adding more flour if the dough is too moist and roll out to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits with cutter and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed.
- Cook about 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown at 450 degrees.
- Makes about 15 to 20 biscuits depending on the size of your cutter.
I still remember as a child my mother and dad would rise early and as he began the morning chores she would begin the breakfast meal. I can still remember being rolled up in those old homemade quilts in the winter months and hearing them move around the house. In those days we didn’t have a door on each room and you could hear folks all through the house!
No one had anything to hide nor did we do anything at home we were ashamed of others hearing us doing. As the bacon or meat began to fry and the biscuits started browning, the aroma was usually just too much!
It was a rare thing for either of my parents to have to as us to get up more than one time! We were ready to eat those gravy and biscuits, always served with a side of meat. Even in lean times, we had meat as my dad always raised a couple of corn-fed hogs!
Enter to Win FREE Vegetable and Flower Seeds Below
Ingredients for: Homemade Gravy and Biscuits
- 6 to 7 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease (Can make this with sausage for sausage gravy the same way)
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk (can use whole milk, 2 percent or evaporated)
- Salt and Pepper
Directions for: Homemade Gravy and Biscuits
- Cook bacon reserving grease.
- Add bacon grease to frying pan along with flour and mix well with a spoon.
- Cook this until well blended and begins to boil in deep skillet.
- Add milk all at once and cook until boils.
- Boil for about five minutes until reaches thickness desired.
- Watch closely because gravy will boil over on your stove if you don’t continue stirring.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Can crumble bacon into gravy if desired.
- Serve over biscuits.
If you make your gravy and biscuits a different way drop us a line to share with others.