Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This Pumpkin Spice Cake is not a difficult cake to make. There are box recipes for this in pretty much any brand you want to choose. They include Pillsbury, King Arthur, Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker Supermoist Cake Mix and several others. These recipes of Spice cake doesn’t take as much time and are fairly easy to make. Add a few ingredients and you have a Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Well, if this is what you want there is nothing wrong with it. I have eaten many of these and they are very good caes. We are going to share a homemade recipe with you for a Pumpkin Spice Cake. I get a few complaints along when I include a box of cake mix but it makes it so much easier for several of our readers who don’t have them or energy to spend mixing one up from scratch. This one will be from scratch!
Ingredients for: Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting pan
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree (Fresh is best if you can make your own puree)
3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs (We use fresh but grocery store is ok)
Cream Cheese Glaze Ingredients:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar (plus extra if needed)
1-2 Tbsp. milk
Directions for: Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2, 9″ cake pans with cooking spray or butter, then sprinkle the entire surface with flour (or granulated sugar) and shake off the excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves (optional), and salt until combined.
- Then in a separate bowl, stir together pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and beat 1 minute, using a spatula to scrape the bottom of the bowl so that everything is combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour and pumpkin mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until batter is just smooth. Do not over beat.
- Transfer batter into pans, and smooth the top of the batter with a spatula so that it is smooth. Bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean,20 to 25 minutes in our oven.
- Cool cake in pan on a cooling rackfor at least 20 minutes.
- Then invert cake onto a cooling rack or a cake platter.
- Top with cream cheese glaze when cooled, or dust with powdered sugar.
To Make The Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar together on medium low speed until combined.
Add milk one tablespoon at a time, beating to combine, until the glaze reaches your desired consistency.
If the glaze gets too thin, add in more powdered sugar.
Recipe found on “Gimme Some Oven”
Photo credit: bouche / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND
Be sure to check out our other “Pumpkin Recipes”
Thank you for viewing this Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe. If you like it let us know or if you make yours a different way we would love to hear from you.