This Bacon and Cheddar Cornbread Recipe is just a bout a meal in itself. We are making cornbread here at Back Roads Living all winter long and throughout the summer too. I love Cornbread in our Homemade Chili Recipe. I think this would be wonderful in it also. Cornbread is so diversified and can be made so many ways. Nothing much better than a fresh batch of cornbread and milk! Enjoy! 🙂
Photo by: jeffreyw
Ingredients for: Bacon and Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
- If you are using a 6″ Cast Iron Skillet like mine.
- Use 1/2 to 3/4 cups of self rising flour and 1/2 to 3/4 cups of self rising Cornmeal (I use 1 cup each for a 10″ skillet)
- 4 slices of good quality bacon, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon of lard. (Crisco is best….If I fry bacon I keep the grease for this.)
- Approx, 3/4 cup of buttermilk or regular milk. Sorry, I have never measured this. I just add and mix until it is a little thicker than cake mix. (If you run out of milk use a little water, milk is better)
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Use the cheese of your choice)
Directions for: Bacon and Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
- In a medium skillet brown your bacon until crisp and transfer to paper towel.
- Reserve a Tablespoon of Bacon grease to grease the skillet with.
- I have a gas range and I bake mine on 375*. Most recipes call for 350*
- Add all dry ingredients and mix then add milk and bacon pieces until desired consistency is reached. Don’t over mix.
- Add lard, or bacon grease to the skillet and let it heat up in the oven before you pour in your mix. It needs to be hot enough so when you add the mix it is sizzling in the pan as you add it. (Be careful when you remove the skillet, it will be HOT, use a oven mitt or something)
- I have never timed it either as I always am baking it as I cook and check it every few minutes. I am guessing around 25 – 30 minutes. Just check it every 15 minutes or so and when the top is good and brown it is done. You can always use a toothpick to insert in the middle to make sure it is done. If the toothpick comes out clean it is ready.
The photo above was baked with jalapeno and onions. If you like these just add them to your taste.
Let us know how you like your Bacon and Cheddar Cornbread Recipe in the comment window below.
Thank you for stopping by Back Roads Living again!