Easy Fried Green Tomatoes & Summer Squash!
This is a meal we love here at Back Roads Living right out of our garden! Fresh Fried Green Tomatoes and Summer Squash. We love them fixed like this! You can use the same skillet it is all the same batter.
These two garden vegetables mixed in a skillet and fried are mouth watering good and I am sure you are going to love them just as much as we did!
Ingredients for: Fried Summer Squash and Green Tomatoes
- 2 Medium-Large Green Tomatoes
- 1-2 Medium Squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup corn meal (Flour will work also)
- Seasoning to taste ( We used a dash of Salt, a dash of Pepper and Lemon Pepper)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 Tblsp Milk
The fried green tomatoes by themselves make a delicious dish with a little dip on the side!
Buttermilk Ranch Dipping Sauce
½ cup mayonnaise. We prefer Hellmann’s
½ cup sour cream. Use your favorite brand.
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. We use the local store brand and it works fine.
2 large cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 bunch green onion (scallions) – use all but 2” of the green
Put all the ingredients in your Cuisinart Food Processor and blend until smooth.
Directions for: Fried Summer Squash and Green Tomatoes
- In a medium bowl Beat eggs and milk until well blended
- Slice Tomatoes and Squash into 1/4″ disk
- In a seperate flat bottom dish add corn meal and sesaoning
- In a large skillet heat oil (We use a Cast Iron Skillet)
- Dip tomatoes and squash in egg mix
- Roll in Corn meal mix
- Fry until browned on both side turning once. Approx 2-3 minutes on each side.
- I served mine with Parmesan Cheeses sprinkled on them.
Did you know you could freeze your excess green tomatoes? Don’t throw away those extra tomaote’s at the seasons end.
Be sure to go through and pick the best and firmest tomatoes and prepare them to freeze so you can continue to have green fried tomatoes for awhile after the growing season is over.
It is safe to freeze them for 10 months to a year and still have good flavor!
To prepare Green Tomatoes for freezing
- Pick the tomatoes and wash them just like you would any other time.
- Slice them as you would if you were getting ready to fry them now!
- Go ahead and prepare them in meal, flour or what ever you use as a coating.
- Put in freezer bags and freeze. You can also use storage containers for the freezer to do this in. (Using wax paper between the tomatoes helps when removing from the freezer to fry.)
When you want a batch of green fried tomatoes just remove as many as you need and drop in your pre-heated oil.
Note: do not thaw the tomatoes, you will have a mess if you do and you will loose practically all of the flavor from the lost juices.
Enjoy your Fried Summer Squash and Green Tomatoes. Leave us a comment on how you fix yours! 🙂